Sunday, November 16, 2008

Update

Let's see...today is chemo #3, day 10. This time I have experienced a large amount of swelling in my feet, ankles and lower legs. It's so bad that I could barely put shoes on this morning. I see the oncologist tomorrow and will have my blood pressure checked...but, today I got out my booklet on one of the chemo drugs (Taxotere) and swelling is one of the side effects. The fatigue has also gotten progressively worse each time. Whenever I stand for long periods of time...like doing dishes or cooking...it causes my lower back and hips to ache horribly. One of the other issues that I get each time is mouth sores. It feels as though I took a huge gulp of boiling hot coffee or soup....like the inside of my mouth is burned. Eating anything cold helps.
This time, my gums are sore and it feels as if my teeth are loose.
I must tell you that I'm really tired of being tired! I'm sick of feeling sick! I went for a walk around the parking lot on Friday with a co-worker...I almost passed out! I'm winded easily and feel like such a lump! I was embarrassed! Thankfully, she is a nurse and understands what chemotherapy does to a person's body.
I'm also still dealing with this upper respiratory infection. I finished the antibiotics, but, I'm still coughing...a lot. The good news is that I haven't experienced any fever lately. They will do blood work tomorrow and I pray that it is all normal.
Overall, I'm doing well. God has richly blessed me with a wonderful support system. Angels have provided meals for our family 3 times a week since my surgery (...uh...that was back in August!!), cleaned my house once a month, taken my kids from several hours to several days, done our laundry and have prayed for us non-stop since I was diagnosed. I will never be able to fully express my gratitude to everyone who has helped us. It has been a very humbling experience. I can only hope that this ordeal will be behind me soon.
I'll update again tomorrow once I've seen the oncologist.

6 comments:

Barbara said...

I wish I lived nearby and could help. I will continue to pray.

Unknown said...

{{{HUGS}}} and prayers coming your way!

Tracy said...

I'm so sorry, prayers are being sent your way, please know that you are in my thoughts daily!!

Joyful Days said...

Just wish I could say something more than, "I'm praying." But know I am.

Michele said...

nancy, your patron saint for 2009 is St. Adelaide of Bellich

Anonymous said...

Hi Nancy:

I walked by your old house on Curtis Friday night. I thought of you and all of our fun times together. I'm thinking and praying for you now.