Tuesday, May 12, 2009

Our Lady of Fatima

We're getting ready to celebrate Our Lady of Fatima's Feast Day tomorrow! Our plans are very simple.....praying our family rosary, enjoying a special treat and watching The Day the Sun Danced!

The girls have been begging me to make these Snow Cloud Meringue Cookies. Sometimes I avoid things because they sound complicated. I'm happy to say that these were NOT complicated at all! Extremely easy!!! This recipe is from a book I got for the girls for Christmas....it's called The Usborne Little Book of Christmas Cooking. I love Usborne books!!

Anyway, here is the recipe....

2 egg whites, at room temperature
1/2 cup granulated sugar
sugar sprinkles

That's all!! I think it took me 15 minutes from start to finish!! Preheat your oven to 225 degrees. Cover a cookie sheet with parchment paper. Whisk the egg whites until the thick/stiff peak stage. Add the sugar a tablespoon at a time. Whisk well (batter will be shiny). Scoop a teaspoon at a time of the meringue onto the cookie sheet. Sprinkle with your favorite sugar sprinkles. Bake them for 40 minutes, then turn off the oven and let them sit inside for another 15 minutes.

Even if they don't come out perfect....they are delicious cookies! This recipe isn't exactly on Weight Watchers...but if I substituted Splenda for the sugar....I should be good to go!

Here's how they turned out....

There are 31 yummy recipes in this little book....I'd like to try them all!

Either this camera is bad.....or (the more likely scenario) I haven't a clue how to adjust the settings so I can take decent pictures. Sigh....

Another bad picture. I wanted to show how shiny the batter is....because apparently, this is very important in order for the meringue to be the correct consistency so it can "dry" out properly and become crunchy. But all you can see here is that the batter is WHITE. Oh well...I tried.

Here is our finished product before going into the oven. These are supposed to be more uniform in shape....but I had two little girls pulling on my legs so they could see better and....well...this is what I could manage. The girls did the sprinkles....we picked blue in honor of the Blessed Mother! Since they need to be in the oven for about an hour...and we started too late, I promised that they can have this special treat for breakfast! I apologize in advance to their teachers!!

And lastly, I thought I would share one more picture from today.....I let the girls go outside to play while Nathan was doing his homework! I went outside to check on them. Olivia said they were playing "hide and seek". This is where I found Amelia hiding.....in my Camellia tree!!


She's my little monkey!!

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Those cookies look delish! Michael is my monkey too!!!

Elizabeth said...

love, love love meringues!
Have a great day!

Anonymous said...

They look delicious! Enjoy your day.