This appeared in our bulletin that I received at mass this morning....
"For decades, the Catholic bishops of the United States (USCCB) have supported and continue to support genuine National Health Care Reform, provided that the following criteria are met:
1. It must be a truly universal health policy that protects the life and dignity of all, including those who are most vulnerable.
2. Allowing access for all with a special concern for the poor and the inclusion of legal immigrants.
3. The common good must be pursued and pluralism preserved, including freedom of conscience and a variety of options.
4. Exclusion of any efforts to expand abortion funding, mandate abortion coverage, or endanger the conscience rights of health care providers and religious institutions.
5. Costs must be controlled and applied equitably across the spectrum of payers.
In addition, Bishop Galeone (Diocese of St. Augustine) is of the opinion that two more items are essential if Congress is truly serious about reforming Health Care: 1.) Tort reform must be enacted in order to control escalating costs. 2.) The members of Congress must be insured under the same Health Care System that they adopt for the rest of the nation."