Tuesday, September 29, 2009

Celebrating the Archangels!

It actually turned out to be a pretty good day! I was dealing with a lot of things at home...and some personal stuff, but I managed to stay on schedule! You have no idea how important that was today. In order to do it though, I had to sacrifice Nathan's choir practice....but I think he'll live!

One of the things that's been on my list has been to get the liturgical calendars finished started! As you can see by this first photo....I'm 10 months into the year and this is the first one that actually made it up on the wall. Now, we do have a family calendar hanging in the kitchen that is for all school/personal stuff....but I wanted a separate one for special feast days and holidays.
I am going to make a sincere effort to actually do an activity of some sort for the saint of the week. Since school started, our devoted saints have had to take a back seat. Since October is the month of the Holy Rosary and the Holy Angels, we will commit to saying the entire Rosary every day (we currently can only manage one decade) and learning the prayer to St. Michael (actually, Nathan already know this...but we'll be working with the girls).


I included this photo of Nathan doing his homework.....mostly to show you my fall centerpiece that I put together. Those are candles from last year, but this year I added the "doom-a-flachee" around the bottom. Isn't it cute? I thought it was simple enough for our style. Now....if I can keep the kids from pulling the little painted balls off of the vine....

For dinner, I used the recipe from Catholic Cuisine for gnocchi! I must tell you, it was extremely easy. This was so easy that I'm embarrassed I've never tried this before. No, it doesn't exactly taste like my Nanny's, but it really was pretty good.

I didn't even make much of a mess while doing it!



I made some meat balls and garlic bread to go with them (no veges tonight!). Surprisingly...everybody ate (it always helps to starve your kids before you feed them something new)


After dinner and baths, I pulled out the Archangel coloring pages from Waltzing Matilda. Amelia was exceptionally proud of her St. Gabriel!!

I wrote out the St. Michael prayer and placed it on the wall with their pages. We'll practice the prayer every night!!


And how can any feast day be complete without chocolate chip cookies?

No comments: