I did something this past weekend that I've sworn for the last 35 years that I would NEVER do! I've even looked down on those that have done this very thing! I have rolled my eyes at those that have made the decision to do it! I have mumbled under my breath at those that would dare to be so LAZY! I have even poo-pooed the excuses that I've heard for the reason why someone would do this! A Scripture comes to mind as I reflect on my abhorrent behavior:
“Do not judge, or you too will be judged" Matthew 7:1 (NIV)
Are you ready for my confession? Here goes.....I bought an artificial Christmas Tree this year! Phew! There, I said it! What a relief!! I've been carrying this burden around for almost 6 days and I couldn't stand it anymore!
Here are my excuses (you may begin rolling your own eyes now!):
1. There are not as many tree lots around town as there used to be! I live in Florida...hot, balmy, Florida. Cut Christmas trees don't last very long. They drink up water like there's no tomorrow. By the time the cut trees get here, they've already been severed from their life source for at least 4-5 days. This means that by the time Christmas Day is here....most of the needles are lying on the floor deeply embedded into the carpet!
2. Fresh trees are so expensive! Around here, it's at least $7-$10 per foot! Dan and I budget for our Christmas Holidays very carefully! Our budget includes the tree, gift giving, parties, decorations and food! When we buy a fresh tree.....that's half our budget right off the top!
Go ahead...mumble under your breath now about my laziness!
3. The lights! Need I say more? I HATE putting the lights on the tree! Dan will do it for me, but if the truth be told, he does a lousy job! I like LOTS of lights and I swear, I have so much anxiety before decorating the tree that I need a good, stiff drink before I start!
4. Did I mention that there won't be any needles remaining in my carpet until next December? Oh, I did? Well, did I mention that an artificial tree is cheaper and that you can buy one PRE-LIT??? Oh, yes, I guess I already mentioned those reasons!
5. Well, here's another one...a much nicer, calmer mommy! Hey, this is my first year of homeschooling....I'm delirious most of the time and if an artificial tree will bring me some comfort...SO BE IT!
It's a 7 ft tree that cost $88 at Walmart. It has a two year warranty (if it lasts for two years, it's paid for itself). It's pre-lit and if one bulb goes out....the rest of them STAY LIT! It fits perfectly in our corner and all the branches are strong enough to hold even the heaviest of ornaments! I'm pleased!
|Isn't it purdy?|