Monday, March 14, 2011

UPDATE!

Thank you all for your prayers, comments and emails!  Here's what I know....

1.  My brother-in-law made it home.  It's not clear how he got there.  Some of the trains were working while others were totally destroyed.  His home did not see any of the water from the tsunami!  However, he said just about everything he owned was on the floor from the shaking.  He said it will take some time to clean up.
There are rolling blackouts and curfews.  I beg you for your continued prayers for the entire country of Japan!  This tragedy is getting worse everyday.  I think it will be some time before we can truly grasp the devastation that this has caused the entire world. 

2.  My friend suffering from stage 4 melanoma is stable at the moment.  The steroids are doing their job reducing the swelling.  His wife is generously keeping us updated on a Caringbridge site.  He has already had the gamma knife radiation procedure and I think the plan now is to give him regular radiation.  I'm not an expert on brain cancer, but I think the idea behind giving him the radiation is to try to shrink the tumors....or at the very least, keep them from growing.  If you can, please remember Adam and his family in your prayers.

3.  My lymph node is still swollen and still painful, although a lot less than before.  I told myself that if it wasn't better by today, I would call the doctor.  It's a tad bit better, so I'm going to just take it day by day.  Honestly, I just didn't feel like dealing with the doctor today.  I didn't have it in me.

I've got over 1000 (again) posts in my Google Reader....I'm probably going to have to start deleting.  If I haven't commented much...it's just because there has been so much going on around here...here's a peek into my life....

Along with the above 3 things that I've been dealing with....we've managed to get the kids re-enrolled in our parish school for next year.  This is a very sore subject right now and it's something I can barely talk (or write) about without bursting into tears!  In addition to that, Dan has signed us up for Dave Ramsey's Financial Peace University!  This class is every Monday for 13 weeks!  There is a lot of reading and homework to do.  And lastly, my trip to Rome for the Beatification of Pope John Paul II is just 46 days away!  I have lots to do.  Since Delta is notorious for losing our luggage.....I'm going to try to fit everything into one carry on!  This will take much creativity and strategic planning.  In looking at our flight information, we may not have much time in New York for exchanging money so I will order the Euros from my bank before hand.

In addition to ALL of that....I'm still trying to live out these Lenten days in a reflective way while still being true to my commitments.  Our family gave up T.V and it has been a challenge...especially in light of the events in Japan.  We've tried to get as much information as we could about things going on near where my brother in law lives, but unfortunately, we have resorted to watching some news coverage.

I blew off school today.  Instead, we spent lots of time outside (around 72 degrees) and we finished up our George Washington read aloud!  A friend loaned us a DVD about St. John Bosco....we will watch this as the week moves forward.

Thank you for praying and for continuing to visit me here at Be Not Afraid!

4 comments:

Therese said...

Nancy,

I am so sorry your children are going back to school against your wishes. Ironically, last week I was trying to talk Steve into sending Tom back to school since he is so disruptive to our day. We are going to stick at home schooling him still and Steve is going to be a bit more supportive in making sure Tom gets his work done but I really dislike my days at the moment.

I read Dave Ramsey's book a couple of years ago and we only have 3 years till our home is paid off completely. I am sure he will help you guys too.

Jen Ambrose said...

Glad to hear about your brother-in-law. And very happy for your upcoming Rome trip

noreen said...

Hi Nancy,

You do have a lot going on and I will keep your prayer intentions in mind when I pray my rosary. May God bless you and your brother-in-law and all those who are affected by the tragedy in Japan!

Sarah Oldham said...

Continued prayers for all your intentions. ;) Hang in there, chickie. ;) YOU ARE LOVED!