Thursday, September 25, 2008

Chemotherapy #1

Well, I've made it through the first treatment!! One down, three to go! I have to say, this was not a bad experience today. Really. I mean, everybody was extremely nice, the chairs are comfortable, there were snacks and drinks, blankets and pillows, a tv, dvd player....all the comforts of home. The only bad part was the fact that you are there to have nothing but pure POISON put into your veins. Anyway, I thought I'd share a couple of pictures with you


This was my chair for today. Very comfy. It went all the way back. You probably can't tell but that is a brand new FSU pillow. Some of the nurses make these little pillows and she had just brought that one in. I took it in honor of my two nephews...Michael and Christopher.

I dozed off now and then. The pre meds worked well for relaxation and I was very comfortable. Accessing my port was not painful either and even though it was a pain in the you know what to get through that surgery...it was one of my better decisions in life.
In my bag, I had my medical binder, two sudoku books, a novel yet to be started, 3 fall magazines, my camera, my phone and a couple of boxes of thank you notes that I really need to get written. I also brought along a prayer blanket that I had been given by a dear friend.


This other picture is of the room I was in. There are four rooms in all. This room had 6 chairs in it. Mine is right to the left of the back window. There was only one other woman there at the time I arrived. By the time I left several hours later....All of the chairs were filled. Apparently they do other infusions there besides chemo...they infuse blood, antibiotics and other fluids for dehydration.












And this sweet little girl was my nurse for today...Kari. She was so sweet and spoke with such a soft southern voice. She was so kind and understanding. I felt very comfortable around her and hopefully she will be there for my next appointment.

All in all, today has gone well so far. I got the first chemo drug (the taxotere) at 10:50am. The second drug (the cytoxan) was finished at about 1:00pm. They say some of the side effects can begin anywhere from 3 to 10 hours after the treatment and last for about 72 hours. It's 3:00pm now so I guess I'm still in the honeymoon period. I've eaten very light today. Dan took me to get my hair cut right after he picked me up from treatment...it's nice and short. Hopefully this will make it easier when it begins to fall out.



I also thought I'd show you my arsenal for all that ails me. 6 prescripstions really isn't that bad. Hey, if they all work....I'm good with it.


It almost looks like a pharmacy on my kitchen window. I promise...I don't have a drug addition in spite of what it might look like!!
I guess I should start off with my Chemo Meter...even though I feel ok...but here goes:


Fatigue Meter: 1
Nausea Meter: 0
Anxiety Meter: 4
Vomiting Meter: 0
Pain Meter: 0
Overall Meter: 1

I'd say that's pretty good for just a few hours after my first treatment. I'm quite sure it will change by tomorrow, but, I'll let you know. I am feeling more tired as I sit here and type.


Thank you for all of your prayers. They mean so much to me.

No comments: