Saturday, September 18, 2010

Our Trip - Part One!

We had a wonderful time on our recent family vacation to the Smokey Mountains!  I can't even express to you in words how much we needed this time away!  The week went by so fast!

As many of you know, I'm originally from the West Coast.  Specifically, I'm from Northern California...the San Francisco Bay Area.  I grew up with mountains!  The Bay Area is situated right between the ocean and the mountains.  The Sierra's were within a 4 hour drive for us and we made this trip often.  Our favorite place was Lake Tahoe.  It was a beautiful drive and we spent our summers water skiing and our winters snow skiing.  I miss the mountains...terribly!

Florida offers very little in the mountain department.  Actually, Florida offers NOTHING in the mountain department, especially here on the coast where we live.  It is flat, flat, flat!  Oh yes, I know, you can drive to the middle of the state in the Ocala National Forest where there are "hills"  or what I like to call "inclines".  But, you won't actually find a mountain.  As a matter of fact, Florida's highest point is only 345 ft above sea level!  So, when we had the chance to go to some real mountains, I was ecstatic!

I love everything about the mountains!  The air is thinner, crisper and cleaner.  There is no humidity (with the exception of fog and morning mist)!  The foliage is rich with native plants, flowers & trees, most of which change color with the seasons.  The rain sounds, feels & smells different.  Thunderstorms are more spectacular as the thunder echoes off of the mountains.  The dirt is dirt!  Although the Smokey's have a high concentration of clay in the soil, there is NO SAND!  I could go on and on!  Suffice it to say, the mountains are HOME to me.  I'm truly happy there. 

Here are some pictures of our trip:

Olivia in her "spot".

Nathan

Amelia

Tallulah Gorge, Georgia

Tallulah Gorge, Georgia

The Falls at Tallulah Gorge
Blackberry, Blueberry & Raspberry Cider

Daddy

The biggest rosemary bush I've ever seen.  The fragrance was divine!

Wow...the Great Wallenda!  Who knew?

My first view of the Smokey's
Oh my!

My family!  Thank you, God!
So, this is why they call them the Smokey's!

Our piece of heaven for 7 days!

A Katydid

Kids on the back porch (they are patiently waiting to get into the hot tub)
Perfect

This is where I got to drink my morning coffee!

This is why I have gray hair.

Our home away from home.

Cabin decorations.  Cool but creepy.
Stay tuned for Part 2......

2 comments:

Jen Ambrose said...

Beautiful. I can't wait to see the next part. My grandparents lived in Asheville for a time and we loved visiting them there.

Frizzy said...

Nancy, I love the mountains as much as you. If you're ever out this way it sure would be fun to hang out. California misses you too.