Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Cathedra Petri


Today, we celebrate the Feast of the Chair of St. Peter (Cathedra Petri).  I would like to point out though, that this Feast Day actually refers to the occupant and not the piece of furniture.  I say that because up until my first trip to Rome in 2007....I had no idea there was  actually a real chair hanging in the middle of St. Peter's Basilica!    The jury is still out on whether or not St. Peter himself ever actually sat in this chair.  Does it matter?  Nope.  I'm not celebrating the chair itself, but the one whose job it was to occupy it.

Prayer to St. Peter

O Glorious St. Peter, because of your vibrant and generous faith, sincere humility and flaming love our Lord honored you with singular privileges and especially leadership of the whole Church. Obtain for us the grace of a living faith, a sincere loyalty to the Church, acceptance of all her teachings, and obedience to all her precepts. Let us thus enjoy an undisturbed peace on earth and everlasting happiness in heaven.  Amen.

1 comment:

Monica said...

Hi there,
I just posted a prayer reflection from Peter's perspective...and realized how timely it is given the feastday today!