- According to a 2004 University of Texas study, today's fruits and vegetables aren't as nutritious as they used to be. When compared to 1950, what is in our grocery stores now are from 5% to 40% LESS nutritious in about 43 types of produce. The study showed that one reason is because of a "relentless, century-long focus on increased yield that has helped to feed an exploding population". How's that for a positive spin? Shocking, I tell ya, shocking!
- Apparently, there is a "truckload" of research showing that a small plot of land is a smart purchase for someone perpetually in need of stress reduction. Studies link gardening to lowered blood pressure and lower levels of stress hormones. And people who garden have lower rates of obesity and higher intakes of healthy foods. Good to know!
- A one-third pound stalk of broccoli contains more vitamin C than 204 apples! So I guess this means if I'm feeling a cold coming on...I should eat broccoli??? Not a chance!
- Blueberries have more antioxidants than any other fruit or vegetable! I guess this is why the call blueberries a "super food". For an excellent Blueberry Crumble recipe, click HERE!
- The Hershey chocolate bar was advertised in the early 1900's as a health food! Also, that it kept children's stomach full so they wouldn't want to eat as much. Hmm. I'm going to need to ponder that tidbit for alittle while.
OK, here is one last bit of useless information that may or may not make you laugh.....
The Japanese eat very little fat and suffer fewer heart attacks than the Aussies, British or Americans. Mexicans eat a lot of fat and suffer fewer heart attacks than the Aussies, British or Americans. Africans drink very little red wine and suffer fewer heart attacks than the Aussies, British or Americans. Italians drink large amounts of red wine and suffer fewer heart attacks than the Aussies, British or Americans. Germans drink a lot of beer and eat lots of sausages and suffer fewer heart attacks than the Aussies, British or Americans. CONCLUSION: Eat and drink what you want. Speaking English is apparently what kills you!
Ba da bump!
Happy Friday to you!