Friday, July 27, 2012

7 Quick Takes Friday, Vol 6




It's been quite some time since I've done a "Quick Takes" post.  Here goes...


1.  We've been getting ready for school!  For us, the first full day of school is August 15th.  I've taken care of uniforms, school supplies, backpacks and lunch boxes.  The only thing left is socks and shoes.  I will wait until the week before school to get those.  We are now waiting for notification on which homeroom teachers they'll each have.  The excitement is building!

2.  I've cleaned off my desk and work space in the corner of my bedroom again.  Today, I bought a new cork bulletin board and semi organized my craft supplies.  It seems I'm in a decluttering and organizing mood lately.  I also took two bags of clothing to Goodwill.  Sometimes I can get discouraged because it seems like all the crap clutter in my house isn't disappearing fast enough. I need to keep reminding me....baby steps!

3.  Over the last 22 weeks (or so), I've been eating healthier.  I've given up all the bad "white" stuff....bread, potatoes, rice, flour, sugar and pasta.  I'm sticking to fruits, vegetables, protein and nuts.
So far, it has done me well.  I'm sleeping better...my, ahem, bathroom habits are better....my energy level is better and don't seem as irritable as I used to be.  All in all, I've lost 60 lbs!  This is all well and good, BUT, I have at least another 50 lbs to go and I seem to have reached a plateau.  My sister-in-law loaned us her treadmill and I've been doing my best to get on it everyday!  Please pray for me that I won't get discouraged and then give it all up!

4.  I have seriously neglected our Little Flowers Girls Club.  I feel awful.  I think it's been at least 6 or 7 months since we've met.  Between school, soccer, basketball, homework and school projects, not to mention all the other household things that I must do, it was getting harder and harder to schedule this in.  I've made a commitment to schedule another meeting very soon.  I will send out an email to all the little girls and their mothers THIS WEEK!  I promise!

5.  I've been thinking about virtues lately.  Particularly the virtue of Charity.  I'm lousy at it.  I'm lousy at all of them, but this one is especially difficult.  Everyone suffers because of my attitude...mostly my kids.  In that famous poem by Dorothy Law Nolte, it says "If children live with criticism, they learn to condemn....If children live with kindness and consideration, they learn respect.  My attitudes toward a certain situation, is really bad.  I'm not being a very good example for my kids.  I'm finding that I'm really tiring of my family and my house being taken advantage of by people that should know better.  In wearing my emotions on my sleeve, my kids are picking up on my unkindness and my lack of charity.  This is bad.  I need to be showing them that we are to treat others (even others that drive us nuts) how we want to be treated, instead of treating them like they really irritate me...even though they do!  Could you spare another prayer for this Quick Take too???

6.  My good friend, Msgr. Steven Lopes, is coming for a quick visit to the United States in a couple of weeks.  He'll be in Atlanta for a special convocation of seminarians.  Dan and I are going to drive up there to spend a day with him when he's finished with his work!  What a joy it will be to see him! 

7.  In honor of St. Anne, Holy Mother of Mary, I thought I would end with this prayer:


Good St. Anne, you were especially favored by God to be the mother of the most holy Virgin Mary, the Mother of our Savior. By your power with your most pure daughter and with her divine Son, kindly obtain for us the grace and the favor we now seek. Please secure for us also forgiveness of our past sins, the strength to perform faithfully our daily duties and the help we need to persevere in the love of Jesus and Mary. Amen.






No comments: