Unfortunately, we watch way too much television in our house. It's mostly my fault. I've used the TV as company for as long as I can remember. Being alone has always made me uneasy and to hear voices (even if only on the TV screen) made me feel as though I wasn't totally alone....like I had a connection to the outside world. I'm sure this is all some psychological disorder that actually has a name, but at the end of the day, it's just who I am. The bad part is that my children have learned this bad habit from me. Dan and I have tried to be selective about what we let our kids watch. To tell you the truth, the commercials are worse than any show they've seen.
Things have gotten better over the last few years, though. During the school year, the TV is not allowed on until all homework is done! Frankly, I'm proud of this accomplishment. As a matter of fact, during the week, the TV is rarely on anymore. However, since we are in the midst of summer vacation, the rules have been slightly more lax. Still, I'm more selective of the programming that I allow the kids to view. We've taken advantage of the parental controls through our cable provider and this has helped tremendously!
One channel that is ALWAYS allowed is EWTN. This is the "Global Catholic Network"! We love this channel! It is wholesome family programming! You can trust without a doubt that there will be nothing aired on this channel that is contrary to your Catholic faith! I promise you, they will never air commercials that advertise for any bodily function enhancing products!
Just as an example, I thought I would share with you some upcoming programs that will be featured on EWTN....you'll love it!
1. EWTN On Location- Strong Men, Strong Faith: Catholic convert Alex Jones and San Diego Chargers' quarterback Philip Rivers talk about men's spirituality, and how it relates to their worlds of family and work. (60 min). Airs August 26, 10PM; August 28 1PM; August 30 5AM.
2. EWTN MASS-The Assumption of The Blessed Virgin Mary: LIVE from Our Lady of the Angels Chapel, with the Franciscan Missionaries of the Eternal Word. (90 min). Airs August 15 8AM.
3. Solemn Mass of the Assumption-BNSIC: Holy Mass of the Assumption. LIVE from the Basilica of the National Shrine of the Immaculate Conception in Washington, D.C. (2 hours). Airs August 15 12PM and replays on August 16 12AM.
4. Interrupted Lives-Catholic Sisters Under European Communism: Documentary exploring the 40-year plight of the European Eastern and Latin Rite Sisters after World War II, when Communism forced them to practice their vocations underground. (60 min). Airs August 5 2AM; August 10 10PM; August 11 2PM.
5. Paul VI, Part 1: The first of a 2-part series about Paul VI. Part 1 highlights the pope's priesthood, his time as a university professor, and much more (Part 1 of 2), (90 min). Airs August 18 8PM; August 22 1PM. Part 2 airs August 25 8PM.
6. What Every Catholic Needs to Know About Hell: A superb documentary presenting the Church's doctrine on Hell. (60 min). Airs August 26 2AM; August 31 10PM, September 1 2PM.
7. Meeting Josemaria Escriva: These clips from a series of speeches given by Saint Josemaria Escriva around the country of Brazil cover a range of topics including marriage, family life, and attaining sanctity in the world (30 min). Airs August 31 3AM and 6:30 PM.
And this is only some of the wonderful EWTN programming for the coming months. Please visit www.EWTN.com for additional information. This is the type of TV that you can feel good about letting your kids watch.