Friday, January 4, 2013

St. Elizabeth Ann Seton

Happy Friday!

Today is the Feast Day of St. Elizabeth Ann Seton!  Here is the information printed in my Magnifcat this morning:

Elizabeth Seton was born on August 28m 1774, of a wealthy and distinguished Episcopalian family.  She was baptized in the Episcopalian faith and was a faithful adherent of the Episcopal faith and was a faithful adherent of the Episcopal Church until her conversion to Catholicism.  In 1794, Elizabeth married William Seton and they reared 5 children amid suffering and sickness.  Elizabeth and her sick husband traveled to Leghorn, Italy, and there William died.  While in Italy, Elizabeth became acquainted with Catholicism and in 1805 she made her profession of faith in the Catholic Church.  She established the first Catholic school in Baltimore in 1808; in 1809, she established a religious community in Emmitsburg, Maryland.  After seeing the expansion of her small community of teaching sisters to New York, and as far as St. Louis, she died on January 4, 1821, and was declared a saint by Pope Paul VI on September 14, 1975.
 
 
 
I'm always amazed when I read about a saint and find out that they were a convert to the Catholic faith!  Isn't that amazing!  Especially since she was raised in a devout Episcopalian family!  The power of the Holy Spirit always blows my mind!  It also amazes me when I come across a saint that was married and has had children.  It is a reminder to me that God has called ALL of us to great things, no matter our state in life!  This alone brings me great hope!  No, I don't necessarily desire to be a saint venerated by millions, but, one of my greatest desires is to be able to put God above all else!
 
This brief biography above doesn't mention why the couple moved to Italy, but I read in a separate article that because of the health of William, they needed to live in a dryer climate.  In those days, when you traveled to another country, you had to spend time in quarantine.  Apparently, William died while in quarantine.
 
I also read where Elizabeth had a special devotion to the Eucharist, Sacred Scripture and the Blessed Virgin Mary.  In addition, the 23rd Psalm was her favorite prayer.
 
Elizabeth is considered to be the patron saint of Catholic Schools.
 
In my desire to make an effort to deepen my faith in this "Year of Faith", I will make it a goal to learn more about the Saints of the Church.  We have such a deep treasure in these people of God!  Join me if you can!
 
 


No comments: