Thursday, August 8, 2013

New Teacher!

I met Amelia's new teacher yesterday!  It was a quick, brief exchange, but, I liked her right from the get-go!  The most important thing to me was that we were able to meet, eye-to-eye and establish a repoir.  Communication is going to be key.  I made sure she had a copy of Amelia's psych eval and we discussed her medication.

She didn't really want to hear any details about our struggles from last year.  She said she wanted to have an opinion of Amelia that was not biased in any way by what her previous teachers had to say.  How refreshing!  I made her aware that we had briefly begun planning for "504" accommodations at then end of the previous year but that I thought we should see how the year goes.  If, at some point, problems begin to surface (the kind that need something to be done), then we can revisit the issue of making accommodations. 

In other news, I received an email notifying us of Nathan and Olivia's homeroom teachers for this next school year.  They are both happy with who they got.

Apparently, there have been several "administrative" changes in the hierarchy of the school over the summer.  I've heard that at the start of school there will be over 600 students registered!  That's a lot!  We are busting at the seams, quite literally!  Let me just say this, growth (at all costs) is not always good.  Growth that comes too fast, is not always good.  Have you ever heard the phrase, "too big for your britches" before?  Yes, well...that's quite possibly what's happening.  Rapid growth can sometimes produce an elitist attitude.  Unfortunately, there is some of that going on.  I pray for humility... for myself, teachers, principals, parents and students.  Most of all, I pray for a happy and prosperous school year for all three of my kids!  These little humans will be big humans someday and I want them to be able to contribute to the world in a positive way with a Christ filled heart!

St. Elizabeth Ann Seton, Pray for us!


1 comment:

Just Be Real said...

Thank you Nancy for sharing. Glad you like the new teacher.....hugs.