Saturday, July 16, 2011

The Shepherd's Voice

On one such occasion the Shepherd said to Much-Afraid, "When you continue your journey there may be much mist and cloud.  Perhaps it may even seem as though everything you have seen here of the High Places was just a dream, or the work of your own imagination.  But you have seen reality and the mist which seems to swallow it up is the illusion.  Believe steadfastly in what you have seen.  Even if the way up to the High Places appears to be obscured and you are led to doubt whether you are following the right path, remember the promise, 'Thine ears shall hear a word behind thee, saying, This is the way, walk ye in it, when ye turn to the right hand and when ye turn to the left.'  Always go forward along the path of obedience as far as you know until I intervene, even if it seems to be leading you where you fear I could never mean you to go.

Remember , Much-Afraid, what you have seen before the mist blotted it out.  Never doubt that the High Places are there, towering up about you, and be quite sure that whatever happens I mean to bring up there exactly as I have promised."  --Hinds Feet on High Places by Hannah Hurnard,( a portion of Chapter 14)

You have no idea how much comfort the Shepherd's words to Much-Afraid bring to me!  For almost 16 years I have tried to get to the High Places and become Grace and Glory, but alas, I am still Much-Afraid.  My companions, Sorrow and Suffering are still with me.  However, I know that Joy and Peace are in the High Places, waiting for me!

Believe me when I tell you that this is one of the best books I have EVER read!  My copy is worn and tattered.  There are notes and prayers written in the margins, pages have been dog-eared and ripped.  I have played out the scenes of the book in my mind like a movie, over and over.  I KNOW what the Shepherd looks like, and I KNOW His voice.  What I don't know is how in the heck I can still be in this place after 16 years!  It's two steps forward, and three steps back.  Why is God so patient with me?

"I am here, " said Much-Afraid, still kneeling at his feet, "and I will go with you anywhere."  Then, the Shepherd took her by the hand and they started for the mountains.

1 comment:

noreen said...

Nancy, I'm not familiar with this author but I think I want to be! I love the way she explains the emotions and which ones we battle daily!