Wednesday, January 11, 2012

A Day Off

Today was my day off!  I really needed it.  After Dan and the kids left this morning, I sat back in my chair with a second cup of coffee and watched old episodes of "19 Kids & Counting".  I then fell back asleep with the cat on my lap until 10:30am!

I forced myself to get up and be productive...although I really didn't want to.  I put away the last of the Christmas ornaments and decorations.  You can actually walk in our bedroom again!  I also put away the Christmas dishes and replaced them with our old plain ones.  Christmas is officially OVER! 

I then tackled the kitchen and got it squared away.  I felt like I had accomplished something.  I felt like I could breathe...just a little.

As soon as I had a chance, I went online to check the balance in the checking account.  Bank of America replaced the fraudulent charges!  Yippee!  Again, I felt like I could breathe easier.  The weight of it all is lifting....ever so slightly. 

I fixed a nice dinner...ham, mashed potatoes/gravy and green beans sauteed in olive oil and onion.  We all sat at the table...like a real family.  Of course, they all complained about the fact that they don't like vegetables...and Olivia reminded me over and over that she doesn't like mashed potatoes.  Sigh.  You know, it really doesn't matter what I cook...someone isn't going to like it.  Night after night of this can really bring you down where you don't even want to cook anymore.    Honestly, my children would prefer ramen noodles and frozen chicken nuggets every night.  My father (the Italian chef) is surely turning over in his grave right about now!  Such is life.

I got the kids in bed early...Dan was outside with the neighbor trying to fix the truck and I sat down with my laptop to watch the Season One, Episode Two of the PBS Masterpiece's Downton Abbey!    I finally have found a show that I can enjoy and look forward to future episodes.  There's been a lot of talk about it on Facebook and so I figured I'd see if I like it!  I do!  I'm tempted to watch the third episode now...but I'm starting to get sleepy and they are over an hour long.

This has been a good day.  A decent day.  A day that I didn't hate.  I'm finding more and more that my stress level is waaaay up on the days that I work.  It's like I'm so spent by the time I get home, that I just can't handle the normal everyday stresses of raising a family....homework, housework, cooking, etc.

We can't afford for me not to work.  So I guess I'll plug along, looking forward to Wednesdays when I have a day off and can spend a few quiet moments by myself without someone wanting something from me.  I know that sounds extremely selfish...and it is, however, time alone is what I desperately need these days.

Well, seven days to go till my next day off.  Wish me luck.

Update:  Dan just came in....the truck is now fixed!  That's a load off!